Friday, March 25, 2011

Surviving 2011....somehow

We are deep into March, almost at the end and I can hardly believe it. Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago that we were tossing old the crispy Christmas tree and donning New Year's hats? It seems like it. And yet, since then, I have attended almost every French class in Saskatoon, meaning that I have been away from home a lot more than I would like. In fact, I spent most of January in Saskatoon. March, as a result, has had me travelling every week instead of staying for extended periods. To help our family get through the separation, Dave, Blythe and I have become quite proficient with Skype. We read books, tell stories, have family scripture study and prayer, even family home evening. We have even watched a movie once (it was complicated and didn't work very well, but to Blythe's mind, Daddy was included). The reality that families are under attack has become so apparent to me lately and we have been striving harder than ever to make sure that we are doing all the essentials. Hence all the skyping. I think it has been working. Time has flown by, and that has been the greatest blessing. Blythe has struggled, but has become so much more social and less scared of other kids. Dave has been able to work from home allowing me to leave for class and be assured that Blythe is safe. We have also found a great day home that Blythe attends twice a week. It is small, with only one other kid and he is only a week older than Blythe.
School has been going well. Blythe has gotten to know her cousins in Saskatoon better and I have been able to hang out with them more. I am learning more than I thought I would ever know about translating French. I have been able to get a ton of research done despite the time lost through travelling and significant amounts of French homework.
My calling has been seriously neglected, yet I have been prompted and guided each week when teaching our ward's primary children.
I have also lost 22 lbs!
I have been stressed, tired and have suffered serious tunnel vision. I have been so frustrated and I know that despite my best efforts I have taken it out on Dave and Blythe. Today Blythe refused to put her boots on and I used my super serious (almost angry) Mom voice. She was already crying and instead of obeying what I asked her to do, she ran between my arms and gave me the tightest hug she could while she cried. I felt awful, but was reminded how much I love that little defiant, stubborn and remarkably loving girl. I am so thankful for her and Dave and I cannot wait until life gets "boring" again.
I am grateful for the little things: chores completed by Dave when I just don't have time, hugs, cancelled classes, and family playdough time. Sitting in my living room with my family watching a movie- it is a slice of heaven!

4 comments:

Crusty said...

Ok so now I have to go read all your other posts!
You're right...family does rock!

Rachel said...

I can't believe how much older Blythe looks!! She is such a pretty girl! Hopefully life will calm down for you soon, it sounds like you need it!

The Lawlor's said...

Yay, you are back.

Wow, what a crazy life. But good for you for making things work and doing well. Congrats on your 22lbs. That is impressive.

Blythe sure is looking older and she sounds like a fun little girl. Too bad we weren't still in Saskatoon, I might be able to see you once in a while.

Theresa said...

so cute that little face